This activity is designed to explore some aspects of Anzac Day in more depth by visiting the recommended online resources. You might want to use it instead of the quiz.
Use the material available from the following links:
Split your class into teams and get them to complete this scavenger hunt. You could turn this into a competition and reward them with Anzac biscuits. Here is a recipe!
- On 25 April 1915 approximately how many New Zealand soldiers landed at what became known as Anzac Cove?
- How many days did the Gallipoli campaign last?
- According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission how many fatalities were suffered by the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (NZEF) at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915?
- What was Evelyn Brooke's role at Gallipoli?
- Who wrote the poem 'For the fallen' commonly used at Anzac Day ceremonies?
- What do the letters RSA stand for?
- What did the 75th anniversary of the Gallipoli landings coincide with?
- What has Anzac Day become synonymous with in recent years?
- In what year did Anzac Day become associated with anti-Vietnam war protests?
- What is the name of the poppy commonly used as a symbol for Anzac Day?