Welcome to 2013

Tēnā koutou. Given February is almost over it seems like it is almost too late to welcome you all back to the start of another school year but I guess it is a case of better late than never. For colleagues in Christchurch and the wider Canterbury region our thoughts and best wishes are with you once again at what must be a difficult time of year for many of you . 

We are currently grappling with how to change our navigation on the Classroom page to reflect the changes in NCEA. Obviously we need to move away from organising things according to levels and are string to determine the best way of arranging things according to events and places of significance. Watch this space. We are also thinking of preparing more overviews of periods of history along the lines of this one which we had written for New Zealand in the nineteenth century to help place events. people and places into a broader historical context. We will also be developing new decade studies with the 1980s being next cab off the rank. We know that the 1980s has been popular with teachers and students in the past and a num,ber of features relating to this period can be found in NZHistory already but a broader decade feature will we hope help with that all important context.

Finally my work at present is pretty evenlt divided between NZHistory and the WW100 programme. The upcoming centenary of the First World War will provide so many opportunities for teachers and students that I urge you to stay in touch with ideas and developments via the dedicated website.  Watch that site as well as this space for teaching and learning ideas as well as activities within your community as we seek to deepen our understanding of this significant historiacal event on New Zealand and New Zealanders

Ngā mihi

Steve

Post your response here