Presbyterian Peace Memorial Boys' Home, Onehunga

Detail of cadastral map of Onehunga, One Tree Hill, and Great South Road in Auckland

In February 1919 the Auckland Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand resolved to build a boys' home as a peace thanksgiving memorial. Sir Frederick Lang, MP, opened the Presbyterian Peace Memorial Boys' Home on a ten-acre section at 109 Mount Smart Road, Onehunga, on 21 May 1921. The home provided accommodation and facilities for more than 40 boys. Later renamed the Presbyterian Social Services Boys' Home, it was closed in the late 1950s. The land and buildings were sold to Onehunga Borough Council, which opened pensioner flats on the site in December 1960.

'Care of Orphan Boys: Presbyterian Project', NZ Herald, 12/2/1919, p. 6; 'Peace Memorial Home: Presbyterian Boys: Opening at Onehunga', NZ Herald, 23/5/1921, p. 5; 'Pensioner Flats at Onehunga', Manukau Progress, 19/12/1960; Kevin Davies, One Tree Hill, Victoria BC, Canada, 2009

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Presbyterian Peace Memorial Boys' Home, Onehunga

What do you know?