clinton

Community thirty-two kilometres west of Balclutha and 41 km east of Gore. Originally known as Popotunoa after the nearby bush-clad hill, it was named Clinton in 1873. Clinton was ‘dry’ between 1894 and 1956, when alcohol sales resumed.

Meaning of place name
Given by James McKerrow from the family name of the Duke of Newcastle, secretary for the colonies from 1852 to 1854, and colonial secretery from 1859 to 1864.

Images and media for clinton