pleasant point

Town 19 km north-west of Timaru. Pleasant Point began life as an outstation, known as Hodstock, of the Levels sheep run. The ‘Point’ could refer either to the junction of the Tengawai and Ōpihi rivers, or to the toe of the spur around which the township developed. An accommodation house was built in 1864. The railway from Washdyke reached Pleasant Point in 1875.

Meaning of place name
It was named by the Rhodes brothers, although the first European settlers always referred to it as The Point.

Images and media for pleasant point