All Saints Anglican Church memorials, Dunedin

Roll of Honour Dedication Plaque Dedication Plaque Stained Glass Stained Glass

All Saints Anglican Church, Cumberland Street, Dunedin, was opened in 1865. The transepts and chancel were added to the original building in 1873. The church contains one South African War memorial. This is an elaborately engraved brass tablet erected by the officers of the Otago Volunteer District in memory of Captain J.A. Harvey, killed in action at Ottoshoop on 5 August 1900. The church also has three individual First World War memorials: two pairs of  stained glass windows, installed in memory of John Hugh Allan and Lieutenant John Nevill Ritchie respectively, and an embossed wood and copper tablet installed in memory of Lieutenant Guy Fyans Clive Bridgeman MC.

The congregational roll of honour is a wooden tablet that lists the names of 166 men and two women (Mary Saunders and Edith L. Wilkin) who served in the First World War, including 34 men who were died, and of seven men who died in the Second World War.

See: Parish of All Saints, Dunedin: Jubilee Record, Dunedin, 1915, pp. 32-3; Betty M. Bell, Parish of All Saints, Dunedin, 1965, [pp. 22-5, 39].

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about All Saints Anglican Church memorials, Dunedin

What do you know?