All Saints Memorial Church, Hokitika

All Saints Church Hokitika All Saints Church Hokitika All Saints Church Hokitika All Saints Church Hokitika All Saints Church Hokitika

Hokitika’s new All Saints Anglican Church was consecrated on 1 November 1936, on the seventieth anniversary of the foundation of the church in the district. The church was built as a memorial to parishioners who had given their lives during the First World War.

The memorial stone set into the eastern exterior wall reads: “A.1936.D / THIS CHURCH WAS BUILT / TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF / THOSE OF THIS PARISH / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918 / CAMPBELL WEST-WATSON D.D. / BISHOP OF CHRISTCHURCH.”

A brass table on the interior wall of the nave dedicates the church to the glory of God and the memory of the five parishioners who gave their lives: H. G. Andrews, E. Burnard, E.A. Ingram, E. Rogerson and G. Woolhouse.

See: ’New Church for Hokitika […] Memorial to Fallen in Great War’, Press, 30/1/1936, p. 3; ‘New Church at Hokitika: Consecration Service Next Sunday’, Press, 29/10/1936, p. 16; ‘Church Jubilee at Hokitika […] New Building Consecrated’, Press, 3/11/1936, p. 9.

 

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about All Saints Memorial Church, Hokitika

What do you know?