Arrowtown war memorial

Arrowtown war memorial c1986.

Arrowtown memorialArrowtown memorialArrowtown memorialArrowtown memorial

Arrowtown memorial, 2009. For more information about the gun, see community contribution by 'Angela' below.

Sue Baker Wilson tells us, 'two of these [names on the memorial] research has shown have been incorrectly recorded, Peter George McAllister is 10/2680 Peter Gray McAllister (also Boer War vet) and Herbert George Edwards is 41969 Herbert James Edwards'.

Sue has also kindly provided more information about some of the people listed on the memorial. You can download this as a pdf here

Site Style Ornamentation Unveiling Date No of Dead
Hill Plinth with urn Wreath, urn,
rifle
4-Jun-1923 18

Community contributions

3 comments have been posted about Arrowtown war memorial

What do you know?

admin

Posted: 15 Sep 2009

Hi Sue - please email these to info@nzhistory.net.nz - thanks!
Jamie Mackay

Sue Baker Wilson

Posted: 15 Sep 2009

Have pics, how do I attach to send?

Angela

Posted: 15 Dec 2008

Fundraising subscriptions for the Arrowtown War Memorial began in 1919, finally being unveiled in 1923. As well as the monument on Soldiers Hill, there is also a Turkish field gun. This was one of a number of war artefacts brough back to New Zealand as part of the plan to develop a national war memorial in Wellington. When the project went ahead and artefacts distributed throughout the country, the Arrowtown Town Board applied and were sent the gun in 1921. The gun, a German made model, 1903 75mm Turksih Field Gun, one of 558 delivered to Turkey between 1903 and 1907 by the German munitions company FRIEDRICH KRUPP at the Essen factory. Partially destroyed, the gun was captured in the Middle East between March 1917 and September 1918. Arrowtown also has the Memorial Swimming Baths, built after WWII to fit the description of a 'living'memorial. The completion of the swimming baths were made possible by a government grant, fundraising by the local community and labour and money provided by Southland and Otago crib (holiday house) owners. The pools were opened in 1957, debt free. The pool is open every summer, in much the same condition - solar heated - but does have a pool filter now!