Auckland Golf Club memorial

Auckland Golf Club memorial

See detail See detail See detail See detail See detail See detail

Roll of honour boards a the Auckland Golf Club.

The Auckland Golf Club, founded in 1894, opened its present links near Otahuhu in 1910. The club's First World War roll of honour, which stands inside the clubhouse entrance, is a framed tablet in hammered copper embossed with the names of 18 members of the club who gave their lives during the war and a further 76 who served in the armed forces. To commemorate members who had given their lives in the Second World War, the club initially proposed to plant a memorial row of trees. Instead, on 29 May 1949 Governor General Sir Bernard Freyberg unveiled a Second World War roll of honour in the clubhouse. This was inscribed with the names of 12 former members. In 1953 the club also built Second World War memorial gates at its main entrance as a tribute to all members who had served in the war. In 2010 the Auckland Golf Club became the Royal Auckland Golf Club.

Sources: ‘Memorial Tablet Unveiled’, NZ Herald, 30/5/1949, p. 8; Derek Dow, Far and Sure: The Auckland Golf Club, 1894-1994, pp. 93-5.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Auckland Golf Club memorial

What do you know?