Skip to main content

Chateau Tongariro poster


The opening of the North Island main trunk railway in 1908 provided a major boost to New Zealand’s fledgling tourist industry. Among the destinations made accessible was the central North Island’s Tongariro National Park, which became a popular holiday area in the 1920s. As this poster proclaims, the luxurious Château Tongariro, which opened in 1929, was ‘Best reached by rail’ (and motor coach connection).


Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: Eph-E-TOURISM-ca1932-01
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa must be obtained before any reuse of this image.

How to cite this page

Chateau Tongariro poster, URL:, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated