East Tāmaki War Memorial park

East Tamaki War Memorial park East Tamaki War Memorial park

In 1949 the East Tāmaki war memorial committee made ambitious plans to further develop the recreation ground as a Second World War memorial. Proposals included extending the playing fields, opening a memorial gateway and garden of remembrance, and building a new public hall and new sports pavilions. The playing fields were enlarged by stages, a bowling pavilion was opened in 1953, a croquet pavilion was opened in 1955, and memorial gates were completed in September 1955.

The memorial gates are situated just around the corner from the First World War memorial. They incorporate the East Tamaki Second World War roll of honour listing the names of 35 servicemen, four of whom gave their lives.

Sources: 'Memorial Grounds', South Auckland Courier, 23/9/1949, p. 9; 'Combined Meeting: Memorial and Reserve: East Tamaki Hall', South Auckland Courier, 10/3/1950, p. 9; 'War Memorial: East Tamaki District: Minister Meets Deputation', ibid.; 'Opening of Croquet Pavilion', South Auckland Courier, 10/12/1953, p. 5; 'New Pavilion Opened: East Tamaki's Addition', South Auckland Courier, 5/10/1955, p. 2; East Tamaki War Memorial Hall files, Manukau City Council archives, W2046/6081; 'Lease of Life for War Memorial', Manukau Courier, 21/4/1995, p. 1.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about East Tāmaki War Memorial park

What do you know?