Hakaru & Districts RSA memorial clubrooms

Hakaru & Districts RSA Hakaru & Districts RSA Hakaru & Districts RSA Hakaru & Districts RSA Hakaru & Districts RSA Hakaru & Districts RSA

In April 1953 the Eastern sub-branch of the Otamatea RSA opened memorial clubrooms in Settlement Road, Hakaru. The sub-branch is today known as the Hakaru & Districts RSA. A bronze plaque at the entrance to its grounds records that the land for the clubrooms was given by Mrs S.A. Wintle and her daughter Gwen Jackson in memory of their son and brother, Frank Wintle, who had been killed in action in November 1941.

There is a memorial flagpole in the grounds. The names of 16 First World War servicemen and 12 Second World War servicemen from Hakaru, Mangawhai and Kaiwaka are listed both on a pair of brass plaques set into the flagpole base and on a memorial tablet inside the clubrooms. The name of one woman, Mrs C. Lucas, is included in the First World War roll of honour.

Sources: Centennial of Kaiwaka, 1859-1959, Kaiwaka, 1959, pp. 77-9; B.C. Ross, Ripples from the River, Mangawhai, 2011, pp. 144-6.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Hakaru & Districts RSA memorial clubrooms

What do you know?