Holy Trinity Memorial Church, Torere

Church entrance WWI Memorial WWII Memorial 1961 Memorial

The Holy Trinity Memorial Church, which stands next to Torere Marae, was opened on 2 June 1956. Granite plaques alongside the church steps record the event. The English version reads: “Torere War Memorial Church / To the Glory of God and in sacred memory of / those gallant men / who died gloriously for us / 1914-1918 1939-1945 / Consecrated 2nd June 1956.”

The Ngaitai Iwi Authority website notes:

Holy Trinity Memorial Church was built by voluntary labour by the late Timi Kauta and Manuhiri Davis. The whariki designs were woven by Ngaitai women under the supervision of the late Papakahawai Herewini and her daughter Ngamoki Richmond. It was a labour of love for those young en of Ngaitai who made the supreme sacrifice in both WWI and WWII. A fragment of stone from the ruins of St Paul’s Cathedral, London, was gifted to the Church and is set to the right of the exterior Church door.

The First World War roll of honour displayed inside the church list the names of 24 men who served during the war, six of whom were killed in action. The Second World War roll of honour lists 35 men who served, seven of whom were killed in action.

There is also a stained glass memorial in the church porch to seven young people who were killed when their car plunged into the flooded Wainui River at Kutarere on 9 December 1961.

See: Torere Maori School 85th Jubilee, 1878-1963, pp. 9-10, 12-13; Torere School Centenary, 1878-1978, pp. 11-12, 23.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Holy Trinity Memorial Church, Torere

What do you know?