Kaiwaka War Memorial Hall

Detail of lists Detail of lists Detail of lists

The Kaiwaka Community Centre War Memorial was opened on 14 October 1952. It was built as a memorial to the men and women from the Kaiwaka Riding of Otamatea County who had served during the Second World War.  As well as the main hall, there were a Plunket room, rest rooms, a supper room and a library.

Rolls of honour for both world wars were installed on either side of the stage. The existing First World War roll of honour for Kaiwaka School and District was transferred to the new hall. It listed 26 names as ‘ex-pupils’, 24 as ‘residents’, and 10 as ‘born in district’. The Second World War roll of honour listed 58 names.

The two other settlements of the riding, Hakaru and Mangawhai, compiled their own Second World War rolls of honour. The Hakaru roll of honour is displayed in the Anglican Church of St Michael and All Angels. The Mangawhai roll of honour, which listed both First and Second World War names, was originally unveiled in the Mangawhai hall, but was then moved to the local undenominational church, before finally ending up in the Mangawhai Museum.

In 2016, as part of a refurbishment project, the Kaiwaka hall committee had the names on the rolls of honour inside the hall etched in glass on the hall’s front doors. The new doors were unveiled on 5 August 2016.

Sources: Centennial of Kaiwaka: Rautau O Kaiwaka, 2nd ed., Kaiwaka, 1959, pp. 74-9, 91-3; Roger T.W. Smith, Stories Tall, Stories Short: Kaiwaka, 1959-2009, Kaiwaka, 2009, pp. 64-6 (includes photos of both Kaiwaka rolls of honour);‘Pride of place’, Kaipara Lifestyler, 2/8/2016.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Kaiwaka War Memorial Hall

What do you know?