Kennington School war memorial gate

Detail from the memorial Detail from the memorial Detail from the memorial Detail from the memorial Detail from the memorial Detail from the memorial Detail from the memorial Detail from the memorial

The memorial in c1986:

Kennington school memorial

The Kennington School war memorial gates were unveiled in August 1927. The rough-cast walls were inset with marble tablets listing ex-pupils who had given their lives, those who had also served, and the names of a number of battles (Bapaume, Somme, etc.).

After the Second World War an arch spanning the two principal pillars was added and the walls were extended to allow for another roll of honour and tablets listing men from the school and men from the wider district who had also served.

A tablet honouring Brigadier James Hargest (1891-1944) and his sons Geoffrey and Peter was also unveiled.

The school closed down in 1971.

See: Kennington School Centennial, 1885-1985, Invercargill, 1985, pp. 5, 8, 14.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Kennington School war memorial gate

What do you know?