Knox College war memorials

Knox College war memorials Knox College war memorials Knox College war memorials Knox College war memorials

Knox College, established in 1909, is a Presbyterian residential college affiliated with the University of Otago. The Knox College war memorials are housed in the Ross Chapel (opened on 8 June 1913). These include a three-panel stained glass window which was dedicated to 27 former students who had lost their lives during the First World War on Anzac Day 1923. Their names and those of 161 other students are listed on a brass tablet entitled ‘Roll of Knox College Students Called to the Colours 1914-1918’.

A further 21 former Knox College students lost their lives during the Second World War. On 17 August 1958 a new memorial chancel was dedicated in their memory. A roll of honour was also unveiled listing the names of the 21 fallen along with 286 other students (‘Roll of Knox College Students Who Served King & Country, 1939-1945’). In 2001 the chapel was substantially remodelled, removing the chancel, but the rolls of honour remain on display.

See: Alison Clarke, A Living Tradition: A Centennial History of Knox College, Dunedin, 2009, pp. 25-6, 124, 236.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Knox College war memorials

What do you know?