Levin and District War Memorial Hall

Profile view of cream and blue coloured building. Photographed from across a road.

The Levin and District War Memorial Hall was opened on 16 February 1956.  During the ceremony, a shrine of remembrance with a roll of honour listing the names of 50 men was unveiled in the entrance hall.

Some years later, the shrine was transferred to the new Levin RSA building, opened on 17 February 1971. In 2010 a near-replica of the roll of honour was added to the Levin cenotaph (the name of Gunner Graham Rangi Morrison Thomas, who had in fact survived the Second World War, only to die during the Korean War, was transferred to a separate tablet).

The war memorial hall has been classified as an earthquake-prone building.

See: 'War Memorial Hall opening', Levin Chronicle, 15/2/1956; 'Simple, moving ceremony for opening of Memorial Hall', Levin Chronicle, 18/2/1956; Levin RSA 75th Jubilee, 1919-1994, Levin, 1994 [pp. 8-11]; Linda Fletcher, Remembering ... Horowhenua and the Second World War, Levin, 2014, pp. 14-60; Levin RSA World War II memorial, Kete Horowhenua (accessed 17/4/2022).

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Levin and District War Memorial Hall

What do you know?