Mangateparu Domain memorial gates

Cast iron gates inlaid with the word 'Mangateparu' between two white pillars

Writing on brass plaque set against white background

The Mangateparu Soldiers Settlement was developed by ex-soldiers after the First World War. In 1947 Second World War memorial gates were erected at the entrance to the Mangateparu Domain. A tablet on one pillar reads, THESE GATES  / WERE ERECTED IN HONOUR OF / THOSE WHO SERVED DURING THE / 2ND WORLD WAR / 1939-1945.

The roll of honour in the Mangetapuru Hall, which is situated across the road from the domain, lists the names of 52 local men who served during the war, six of whom died (H.W. Sola, W. Stewart, H.L. Herbert, A. Seymour, R.D. Scott and E. S. Ayrey). There is a photograph of the roll of honour in Sidney M. Perry, Soldiers of the Mangateparu, Tauranga, 1990, p. 80 ; see also Doreen Brunton, Mangateparu School and District, 1917-1992, Morrinsville, 1992, pp. [2], 23.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Mangateparu Domain memorial gates

What do you know?