Matawhero Presbyterian Church roll of honour

Matawhero Matawhero

The historic church building at Matawhero was originally built as a schoolroom in 1866. It also served briefly as a temporary hospital in July 1868. It was the only building spared by Te Kooti during his devastating raid on the settlement in November 1868 (the 33 Europeans who were amongst the 60 victims of the raid are commemorated on the nearby Matawhero NZ Wars Memorial).

In 1872 the building was bought by the Presbyterians; it still serves as a church today.

There is a bronze plaque on an exterior wall that marks its historical significance. There is also a Second World War roll of honour at the back of the nave. This plain wooden tablet lists the names of four members of the congregation who gave their lives. It reads:

IN / LOVING MEMORY / OF THOSE WHO MADE THE / SUPREME SACRIFICE / 1939-1945 / R. CAMERON / G. (PAT) LYONS / H. RITCHIE / A.A. SIMPSON.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Matawhero Presbyterian Church roll of honour

What do you know?