Ormondville First World War memorial hall

Ormondville memorial hall.

From 101 Years of Ormondville

'On the 16th July 1919 a meeting was held in the Rechabite Hall under the Chairmanship of Mr H.J. Newling to consider a permanent peace memorial to remember those who had served in the Great War..... Several meetings were held to discuss the various alternatives and finally in 1921 it was decided to purchase the Rechabite Hall and land ( a bare 1 acre between the bakery and the Hall) and build a Shell hall 50 feet by 36 feet at a total cost of 900 pounds.... Building proceeded and the hall was opened in 1922. The hall was later renovated, dressing rooms added and the site fenced.'

SiteStyleOrnamentationUnveiling Date No of Dead
 Hall 1922 

Community contributions

3 comments have been posted about Ormondville First World War memorial hall

What do you know?

Judith Gardiner

Posted: 27 May 2018

Ellen Benbow had a twin sister called Sarah. Sarah married William Wiles. They too had 17 children. Nine boys were eligible for service.
They were: William Wiles, Henry Musto Wiles, Sydney Walter Wiles, Percy Wiles, Victor Claude Wiles, Lawrence Webb Wiles, Alfred Thomas Wiles, Albert Edward Wiles and Thomas John Wiles. Henry died 1917 and Alfred Thomas died 1918.

Judith Gardiner

Posted: 27 May 2018

Charles Atcherley Benbow and Ellen Benbow (nee Webb) had 17 children.
They had nine boys who were eligable for war service. They were:
Charles John Benbow, Thomas Henry Benbow, John Edward Benbow, Herbert Richard, William David Benbow, Richard Benbow, Ormond Benbow, Edwin Benbow and Bewis Llewellyn Benbow.
Thomas Henry Benbow died 1917 and Edwin Died 1916.

Nancy Wadsworth

Posted: 14 Oct 2016

There is no listing of names of servicemen in WW1 in the Peace Memorial Hall, Ormondville. The only records in the village are on tablets in the Church of Epiphany (Anglican). There were 5 brothers of one family (Benbow) who served from that little village and at least 1, was killed. I believe maybe 2 were?
My Uncle, John Howes was killed at Flers on 16 Sept 1916 and his brother (my father), Henry James Howes was injured elsewhere on the Somme, I believe about October 1916. He was eventually invalided home, from "Peg Legs on Mullbery Walk", London.