Oropi Memorial Hall

Oropi Memorial Hall Oropi Memorial Hall Oropi Memorial Hall Oropi Memorial Hall Oropi Memorial Hall Oropi Memorial Hall Oropi Memorial Hall

The first Oropi Memorial Hall was opened on 18 April 1953. Memorial plaques on either side of the front entrance listed the names of 23 local men who had served during the First World War (four deaths) and 31 who had served during the Second World War (five deaths). These plaques were unveiled by Mrs Eva Forsyth and Mrs Margaret Chittock, who had both lost sons.

The old hall was demolished in September 2015, and a much larger facility was built in its place. The new Oropi Memorial Hall & Community Centre came into use on 19 October 2016. The memorial plaques from the old hall were restored and relocated to the foyer of the new building. An Anzac Day service was first held there in April 2017.

Sources: ‘War Memorial Hall Opened’, NZ Herald, 28/4/1953; Oropi School and District 75th Jubilee, Tauranga, 1975, p. 50; Oropi School Centenary, 1999, p. 39; The history of Oropi hall (Oropi Memorial Hall and Community Centre website, accessed 4/4/2018).

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Oropi Memorial Hall

What do you know?