Pae-o-te-Riri memorial classroom, Tikitiki

The new classroom block at Tikitiki School was opened on 26 March 1940. The ceremony was attended by more than of 500 people including a busload of Ngāti Porou recruits to C Company Māori Battalion who were on their way to Gisborne. Their leader, Lieutenant Parekura Tureia, an old boy of the school, declared the building open and unveiled a tablet bearing its name, Pae-o-te-Riri (‘The battle front”).

It is unclear whether or not the building was actually consecrated as a war memorial, but the name was clearly chosen to acknowledge the deeds of local soldiers.

See: ‘New Native School: Open-air Building: Tikitiki Opening’, Gisborne Herald, 29/3/1940; Monty Soutar, Nga Tama Toa: The Price of Citizenship, Auckland, 2008, pp. 70, 367.

Community contributions

1 comment has been posted about Pae-o-te-Riri memorial classroom, Tikitiki

What do you know?

Anonymous

Posted: 11 Aug 2020

This classroom use to be the hall iremember it like it was yesturday was used for kapahaka and salvation army church also our gym rainy days some of us kids would play the piano that was in it