Papakura-Karaka First World War memorial.
The Papakura-Karaka war memorial was unveiled by Governor-General Viscount Jellicoe on 5 June 1921. The memorial was located on a triangular plot of land on the Great South Road at the southern end of the town that had formerly been occupied by the Town Board offices. The memorial column had 33 names inscribed and was surmounted by a carving of a soldier in full battle-dress. A carved figure of a crouched lion was added at the base of the column on 8 July 1921. After the Second World War the memorial site was substantially redeveloped and a Second World War roll of honour was unveiled on Anzac Day 1955. In 1993 a plaque was also added to commemorate service in Korea, Malaya, Borneo and Vietnam.
For further information relating to this memorial, see: 'Papakura: Site of Solders' Memorial', Franklin Times, 25/2/21, p. 5; Papakura-Karaka Memorial Unveiling Ceremony ... Sunday, June 5, 1921 [order of service], Papakura, 1921, (8p.); 'Memorial Unveiled: Ceremony at Papakura', NZ Herald, 6/6/21, p. 8; 'Papakura War Memorial Unveiled by Viscount Jellicoe: An Impressive Ceremony', Franklin Times, 10/6/21, p. 11; ‘District News: Papakura', Franklin Times, 15/7/21, p. 5; Elsdon Craig, Breakwater against the Tide, Papakura, 1982, pp. 152-3; 'Forgotten Wars Remembered', Manukau Courier, 3/9/93, p. 1; 'Papakura Cenotaphs Updated', Manukau Courier, 21/9/93, p. 1; 'Operation Cenotaph Update', [RSA] Review, December 1993, p. 19.
|Site||Style||Ornamentation||Unveiling Date||No of Dead|
|intersection||soldier at ease||lion||6-May-21||32|