Pūhoi war memorial

Detail from memorial Detail from memorial Detail from memorial Detail from memorial

Puhoi Pioneers Memorial Park was opened in June 1938, as part of the 75th anniversary celebrations of the arrival of the Bohemian settlers in Pūhoi. Wrought Iron war memorial gates were opened at the entrance to the park on 29 June 1953, during the community’s 90th anniversary celebrations. Tablets set into the concrete pillars are inscribed with the names of seven local men who lost their lives in the First World War and three who lost their lives in the Second World War.

Inside the nearby Puhoi Centennial Hall are framed, decorated and hand-lettered rolls of honour which list the names of men from the community who served in the respective world wars.

See: K. Mooney, A Story of Puhoi, 1863-1963, Warkworth, 1963, pp. 64-5, 72-3; Marjory Hurrey, Down the Years: A Scrapbook Chronicle of Puhoi, 2nd ed., ed. Christine Krippner, Te Awamutu, 2013, pp. 339-41.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Pūhoi war memorial

What do you know?