Rangiora High School memorial

Rangiora High School memorial crest and plaque.

Rangiora cenotaph

Names on the Rangiora High School memorial plaque.

Community contributions

2 comments have been posted about Rangiora High School memorial

What do you know?


Posted: 03 Jan 2012

Within the Rangiora High School Court of Memories, there is a sundial mounted on an octagonal pedestal which was constructed during 1955. The funds to build this was raised from a collection made from the then school students of 1955. The design was created by Mr E. Lance Simpson, the School Woodwork Teacher

Chris Quigley

Posted: 07 Dec 2008

Rangiora High School's Court of Memories was built in the early 1950s using funds raised by the Ex-Pupils Association. It was to serve as a courtyard for a new Library that was never built. It was unveiled at a ceremony attended by Major General Sir Howard Kippenberger on 1 March 1953. The Oamaru stone school crest on top of the Court of Memories adorned the entrance to the school's main building from 1920. The crest over the building's entrance was declared structurally unsafe in 1971 and removed. The crest was placed on the Court of Memories in May 1973. The old main building was demolished in the mid-1980s. There are 70 names on the Roll of Honour. Source: "Rangiora High School 1884-1984 - A Centennial History" by David Gunby (Caxton Press, 1984) ISBN 0 473 00235 3 (pages 165 and 211).