Skip to main content

Scott Base in Antarctica

Image

Scott Base in 2006.

Scott Base, New Zealand's permanent Antarctic research station, officially opened on 20 January 1957 as part of New Zealand's commitment to the Trans Antarctic Expedition (1955-58) and International Geophysical Year (1957-58). Since this time Scott Base has physically changed. The most significant change occurred when the complex was completely reconstructed between 1977 and 2005. Many of the original huts were destroyed but ‘A’ Hut and two others used during the IGY remain.

Credit

Antarctica New Zealand, Pictorial Collection
Reference: K242 05/06
Photograph: Martin de Ruyter

Permission of Antarctica New Zealand must be obtained before any reuse of this image.

How to cite this page

Scott Base in Antarctica, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/scott-base-antarctica, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated