Papatoetoe First World War memorial

The Papatoetoe First World War memorial consists of a stone arch and memorial gates located outside the Papatoetoe School (now Papatoetoe Central School) on the corner of St George Street and Great South Road. The pillars and arch were built by Mr A.W. Larsen using stones from the Mt Eden quarry. The gates were first used on Anzac Day 1922, when each of the school’s 350 pupils filed through the arch and laid a wreath or floral emblem alongside. The formal opening ceremony and dedication was held on 29 September 1922.

The school also had its own roll of honour, a set of four wooden display boards inscribed with the names of 86 former pupils, 10 of whom had died. The boards became borer-ridden and were transferred to the Papatoetoe RSA for restoration. The roll of honour is currently stored in the library at the RSA clubrooms.

Sources: ‘Papatoetoe Memorial’, Auckland Star, 9/4/1921, p. 5; 'Papatoetoe War Memorial: Obelisk Favoured', Franklin Times, 1/4/1921, p. 5; '"Gone West": Obelisk to be Replaced by "Gates of Honour"', Franklin Times, 15/4/1921, p. 5; 'Papatoetoe Memorial: Design Approved', Franklin Times, 3/6/1921, p. 11; 'Anzac Commemoration', NZ Herald, 24/4/1922, p. 8, col. 1; 'Papatoetoe's Gates of Honour', Auckland Star, 22/9/1922, p. 6; 'War Memorial: "Gates of Honour" Opened: Ceremony at Papatoetoe', Franklin Times, 3/10/1922, p. 6; 'War Memorial Gates', Papatoetoe Historical Society Newsletter, February 2011, pp. 12-13.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Papatoetoe First World War memorial

What do you know?