South Hokianga War Memorial Hall

The South Hokianga War Memorial Hall, opposite the wharf at Opononi, was opened during Queen’s Birthday weekend 1956. Rolls of honour for both world wars were installed in the hall the following year. The First World War roll of honour lists the names of 25 men who were killed overseas; the Second World War roll of honour lists 28 names.

Outside the hall is a South African war memorial: a small brick structure which displays a marble tablet inscribed as follows: “In loving Memory / of / - our beloved son -  / RAYMOND W. LETTS. / WHO WAS KILLED IN ACTION / at NOOIT CEDACHT, SOUTH AFRICA. / DEC. 13TH 1900. / AGED 25 YEARS. / - / ‘BELOVED BY ALL’ / ‘THE LORD HATH NEED OF HIM’ /ST LUKE XIX.31.”

In front of the hall is the tombstone of ‘Opo’: the friendly dolphin (d. 1956), not to be confused with the well-known sculpture by Russell Clark which was mounted further along the road.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about South Hokianga War Memorial Hall

What do you know?