Tawera war memorial hall, Springfield

Tawera memorial hall and plaque, located at Springfield Township on State Highway 73.

The hall with Plaque in front of Flag Staff. Contains 15 names.

Transcript of names

Boer War

  • F.J. RYAN
  • J.H. ATKINSON
  • J.W. MOORE

World War 1

  • M.D. CARTER
  • W. EVANS
  • P.W.E. EVANS
  • W.D. GOLD
  • R.E. GOLD
  • R. KELLY
  • W.T. MILLIKEN

World War 2

  • D.E.W. CLARK
  • E.W. COX
  • R.E. MILLIKEN
  • J.T. OLORENSHAW
  • T. TOLERTON

Lest We Forget

Find out more about the people listed on this memorial on Auckland Museum's Cenotaph website.

Local MP John McAlpine formally opened the Tawera War Memorial Community Centre on 22 October 1954. Brigadier H.E. Gilbert, Commander of the Southern Military District, unveiled the roll of honour, a granite slab listing the names of 15 men from Tawera County who had given their lives during the First World War, South African War or Second World. This was set at the foot of the flagpole in front of the memorial building.

The flagpole itself was flanked by two milestones from the old Springfield coach road. Another plaque was later installed behind the flagpole in remembrance of those who served in Korea, Malaya and Vietnam and subsequent peacekeeping forces.

See: Ray Dobbie & Brian Perrin, In the Shadow of the Alps: A History of Malvern County, 1853-1989, Leeston, 1998, pp. 81-2.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Tawera war memorial hall, Springfield

What do you know?