St Andrew's Memorial Church

St Andrew's Memorial Church St Andrew's Memorial Church St Andrew's Memorial Church St Andrew's Memorial Church

Anglican Bishop of Auckland Alfred Walter Averill laid the foundation stone of the new church of St Andrew’s, Inglewood, on 30 November 1922. He returned to dedicate the completed building on 1 July 1923 (the ceremony was deferred from 28 June as originally planned because of bad weather). The rough-cast concrete church had been designed by the well-known New Plymouth architect Frank Messenger.

It is unclear whether the whole church or just its eastern end was dedicated as a war memorial. A dedicatory tablet placed in the northern transept reads: TO THE GREATER GLORY OF GOD / AND / TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN WHO / GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE WAR / - / THE CHANCEL AND TRANSEPTS / OF THIS CHURCH WERE ERECTED / BY THE PRAYERS AND FREEWILL / OFFERINGS OF THE PARISHIONERS. / MDCCCCXXII.

A large Italian marble tablet, which had previously been unveiled, bearing the names of 138 men from the district who had given their lives was placed on the wall of the nave.

See: ‘Inglewood’, Taranaki Herald, 5/9/1919, p. 4; ‘Memorial Tablet to Men of Inglewood District’, Stratford Evening Post, 23/11/1922, p. 7; ‘A New Church: S. Andrew’s, Inglewood: Foundation Stone Laid’, Church Gazette, 1 January 1923, p. 6; ‘New Church Opened: S. Andrew’s, Inglewood’, Church Gazette, 1 August 1923, p. 127; ‘S. Andrew’s Church, Inglewood’ [photograph], Church Gazette, 1 October 1923, p. 164; R.B. Brown, Te Moa: 100 Years History of the Inglewood Community, New Plymouth, 1975, pp. 164,-5, 172; Ian Pritchard, Frank Messenger, Architect, New Plymouth, 1994, pp. 77-83.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about St Andrew's Memorial Church

What do you know?