St John's Peace Memorial Church

St John's Peace Memorial Church St John's Peace Memorial Church St John's Peace Memorial Church St John's Peace Memorial Church

A marble plaque outside St John’s Anglican Church, Kaimata, records its peace memorial status: ST JOHN’S, / PEACE MEMORIAL CHURCH / 1920 / THEY ALSO SERVE, WHO ONLY STAND AND WAIT.

Construction of the church was funded by local farmer Albert Edward Burwell, both in memory of his wife Gertrude, who had died of influenza on 12 November 1918, and as a thanksgiving for peace.

The rough-cast concrete church, designed by the New Plymouth architects Percival and Messenger, was consecrated on Anzac Day 1921.

A brass plaque inside the church honours Gertrude’s memory: TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND / IN LOVING MEMORY OF / GERTRUDE LENORA BURWELL. WHO ENTERD INTO REST / 12TH NOVEMBER 1918. / THIS BUILDING IS ERECTED BY HER FAMILY / AS A THANKSOFFERING / FOR HER NOBLE LIFE & WORK.

There is also a marble tablet which records names of 35 men from the district who served during the First World War. It is uncertain when this was installed, but it has two additional names to the 33 recorded on the Kaimata 1914-1918 Roll of Honour, which is displayed in the local hall.

See: Kaimata School and District Centennial, 1990, pp. 49, 51; ‘St John’s Anglican Church, Kaimata’, Kete New Plymouth; Ian Pritchard, Frank Messenger, Architect, New Plymouth, 1994, pp. 73-6.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about St John's Peace Memorial Church

What do you know?