St Paul's Church memorials, Buckland

St Pauls Buckland St Pauls Buckland St Pauls Buckland St Pauls Buckland

On 12 December 1919 a memorial lectern and a roll of honour were dedicated at St Paul’s Anglican Church, Buckland. The lectern honoured four members of the congregation who had given their lives in the First World War: Edmund B. Davy, George M. Gundry, J. Johnston and N.W. Williams (the Gundry and the Davy families had also placed individual bronze plaques in the church).

The roll of honour listed the above men and 14 others who had also served: N. Bilkey, W. Bilkey, C.B. Davy, G.W. Haire, S. Harper, T. Harper, W.J. Jeffries, T. Pulman, J. Walker, J. Wilcox, J.C. Wilcox, J.R. Wilcox, J.S. Wilcox and P. 

In addition, a memorial altar and reredos (the ornamental screen behind the altar) were dedicated as a thanks offering for peace on 20 July 1924.

Sources ‘Church Services’, Pukekohe & Waiuku Times, 9/12/1919, p. 3; ‘Buckland’, Pukekohe & Waiuku Times, 23/12/1919, p. 3; ‘Pukekohe’, Church Gazette, vol. 54, no. 9, September 1924, p. 142; M.R. Haworth, Our Church: St Paul’s Anglican Church, Buckland, Pukekohe, 2000, pp. 18-20.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about St Paul's Church memorials, Buckland

What do you know?