Tau Henare Marae memorial obelisk

Tau Henare marae Tau Henare maraeTau Henare marae

The soldiers’ memorial on Tau Henare Marae, Pipiwai, was unveiled at Te Hora [Pipiwai] in May 1943 ( ‘Maori Memorial Unveiled at Te Hora’, Northern Advocate, 1/6/1943).  It is a marble obelisk surmounted by a carving of an angel, and is inscribed with the names of the following local men who died on active service during the Second World War: Privates Mokena M. Waa, J. Hoterene, Mohi Hone, Haupai Whatarau, Te Reheu M. Pirihi, Moses Kaka, J. Davis and Rihari Tohu, Lance Corporal Hirini R. Heke, and Sergeant Waihora Paora Kira.

On the back of the obelisk there are also the names of three former servicemen who died at home: R.Waa, M. Waa and Dick Tohu.

The meeting house behind the monument was opened in June 1942 as a memorial to the late Tau Henare (d. 1940), who had represented the Tai Tokerau electorate for 24 years.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Tau Henare Marae memorial obelisk

What do you know?