Taumarunui War Memorial Hall

Granite foundaton stone near entrance to hall with illegible inscription: THIS FOUNDATION STONE WAS LAID BY / HIS EXCELLENCY LIEUTENANT-GENERAL / SIR C. WILLOUGHBY NORRIE / GCMG, GCVO, CB, DSO, MC / ON THE 18TH FEBRUARY 1957. Brass plaque near entrance to hall with inscription: THIS HALL WAS ERECTED BY / A GRATEFUL PEOPLE, / TO THE HONOURED MEMORY OF THE MEN / AND WOMEN OF TAUMARUNUI AND DISTRICT / WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR OF / 1939 - 1945.

The Taumarunui and District Second World War memorial is a substantial civic hall. The granite foundation stone to the left of the main entrance is inscribed (the words are almost illegible today):

THIS FOUNDATION STONE WAS LAID BY / HIS EXCELLENCY LIEUTENANT-GENERAL / SIR C. WILLOUGHBY NORRIE / GCMG, GCVO, CB, DSO, MC / ON THE 18TH FEBRUARY 1957.

The brass plaque to the right of the main entrance reads:

THIS HALL WAS ERECTED BY / A GRATEFUL PEOPLE, / TO THE HONOURED MEMORY OF THE MEN / AND WOMEN OF TAUMARUNUI AND DISTRICT / WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR OF / 1939 - 1945.

The roll of honour inside the hall was created in a similar style to the tablets on the nearby Taumarunui First World War Memorial. The Second World War roll of honour lists 107 names. Images can be found on the Auckland Museum Online Cenotaph.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Taumarunui War Memorial Hall

What do you know?