Taupō war memorial cenotaph

taupo war memorial cenotaph taupo war memorial cenotaph taupo war memorial cenotaph

The Taupō War Memorial Hall in was opened in Tongariro Street on 18 December 1954. The district roll of honour unveiled at the time was a brass tablet listing the names and ranks of ten men who had been killed in action or died of wounds during the First World War and of 23 men killed during the Second World War.

In 1990 the hall was demolished to make way for a new civic centre, called the Great Lake Centre. This was officially opened on 28 August 1992. The roll of honour and the flagpole from the old hall were incorporated into a new cenotaph placed prominently in front of the new complex.

The cenotaph was refurbished in 2015.

 Sources: Warwick Keys, Forty Years Young: A History of the Taupo Borough Council, Taupo, 2002, pp. 15, 27, 70, 81, 98-9; Matthews and Matthews Architects Ltd, Central Taupo – Heritage Assessment, March 2009, p. 34; Peter Henson and Lauren Kernohan, Taupo District Remembers Them: Our Stories of World War One, Turangi, 2015, pp. 12, 337; Taupo War Memorial Cenotaph (Kete Taupo).

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Taupō war memorial cenotaph

What do you know?