Te Awamutu and District War Memorial Park

Waipa district memorial Waipa district  memorial Waipa district  memorial Waipa district memorial Waipa district memorial Waipa district memorial Waipa district memorial

Prime Minister Sydney Holland opened the Te Awamutu and District War Memorial Park on 4 December 1955 (‘Memorial Park Opened: Te Awamutu Garden’, NZ Herald, 7/12/1955, p. 13).

This incorporated a sunken memorial garden in the shape of a cross, lined with ornamental stone walls. This was dedicated to the men and women of the area who had served during the Second World War. The central tablet was inscribed: “1939-45 / In memory / of those who / served / and  / in sympathy / with those who/ suffered  /and / in grateful / remembrance / of those who /gave their lives.” A further 13 tablets listed the names of those who had given their lives. Localities represented included Arohena (7 names), Hairini (4), Hauturu (2), Kawhia (4), Kihikihi (10), Kinohaku (1), Korakonui (3), Mangapiko (1), Ngahinepouri (1), Ngaroma (2), Ohaupo (8), Orakau (1), Paterangi (1), Pirongia (3), Pokuru (2), Puahue (1), Pukeatua (6), Puketotara (1),  Roto-O-Rangi (1),  Te Awamutu (56), Te Kawa (2), Te Mawhai (7), Te Pahu (9), Te Rahu (1), Te Rauamoa (1), Te Rore (4), Tokanui (1), Waikeria (1) and Waipa District (11). A tablet honouring men who had given their lives in Korea, Malaya, Borneo and Vietnam was added in later years.

In 2002 the local RSA and Lions clubs erected a new memorial stone arch at the entrance to the park. This was unveiled by Waipa District mayor Alan Livingstone on 8 December 2002.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Te Awamutu and District War Memorial Park

What do you know?