Te Uku memorial hall

Te Uku memorial hall

Te Uku hall Te Uku hall Te Uku hall

The Te Uku Soldiers' Memorial Hall was formally opened twice: the first time with a religious service held on 29 January 1921, when a roll of honour was also unveiled; and the second time with a civic service, concert and dance held on 24 February 1921. The building later became borer-ridden and was replaced in April 1951. The hall was rebuilt again in 1968.

The Te Uku District Roll of Honour 1914 – 1918 inside the hall lists the names of 30 local men who served, eight  of whom died as a result of war service. The Te Uku and District Roll of Active Service 1939 – 1945, also on display,  lists the names and ranks of six men who were killed on active service and 27 men who also served.

Sources:  'District news', Waikato Times, 4/2/1921, p. 3; Te  Uku and district:opening memorial hall', Waikato Times, 26/2/1921, p. 6;   R.T. Vernon, Te Uku, Hamilton, 1975, pp. 25-6, 122-3; Raglan and Districts RSA, 1932-2007, Raglan, 2007, p. 117.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Te Uku memorial hall

What do you know?