Tīnui war memorial

Tīnui war memorial

Tinui war memorial Tinui war memorial Tinui war memorial Tinui war memorial Tinui war memorial Tinui war memorial

Tīnui war memorial.

Information about this memorial from Peter Cooke

The Tīnui Memorial is interesting in that it records Dunn JR, the Jack Dunn who was sentenced to death on Gallipoli (the only New Zealander so sentenced)*.

The place is also significant in that a cross was erected on the Tīnui Taipos (a huge lump of rock, 1200ft high) behind the town in April 1916 to commemorate the dead (this was one of the first Great War memorials unveiled in New Zealand).

A photograph in a display at Tīnui shows a service at this Memorial in 1924, may be the year it was built. Behind it is the Second World War Tinui War memorial hall.

*Further information from Graeme White 

I see that the memorial includes my great uncle, Jack Dunn, ("Dunn JR") who was indeed the first New Zealander to be sentenced to death at Gallipoli.

However the caption does not state that the sentence was remitted by General Sir Ian Hamilton, and that Jack Dunn was subsequently killed in action during the Wellington Regiment's famous attack on Chunuk Bair under the respected Colonel Malone. So Jack Dunn's name is on the memorial for an honourable death, rather than death by firing squad.

Site Style Ornamentation Unveiling Date No of Dead
Near public building Square obelisk Rifle, sword, hat 1924? 36

Community contributions

9 comments have been posted about Tīnui war memorial

What do you know?

Kiwi Scribe

Posted: 18 Nov 2020

John Squires Stratford Ser No 32239 should be listed on the War Memorial at Tinui having been KIA September 2 1918.
He was the grandson of John Stratford whose ship the Cuba arrived at Port Nicholson, Wellington in January 1840.
He along with ten other relatives that served in the Great War are listed in the book 'Not Just Ordinary Blokes' written by John Holms.

Royce Broome

Posted: 10 May 2018

Does any one know if there is a relationship between the soldiers being in Tinui and the Rangatiki train viaduct. One of my great uncles a C Broome was involved in its building. He was with the English Army engineers. As far as we know he fought in Gallipoli and we have no trace of him after that

Chris Perry

Posted: 28 Dec 2013

Along with my brother Geoff and our school classes we were at the top of the Taipo's when they erected the new cross. Jim Matehson was the headmaster then. Would have to check but it was around 1967/68.

rick kellow

Posted: 27 Apr 2012

I just noticed that the Tinui war memorial - square obelisk etc - is described as sited 'near public building'. It would be good to see the siting of the memorial amended to 'in front of the Tinui War Memorial Hall' or similar.
Rick Kellow
(trustee, Tinui Parish Anzac Trust)

Rick Kellow

Posted: 14 Jun 2010

Well said Carla. You can be assured that the locals in this tiny rural village are still working hard to apprise the public of the unique history of Tinui and the Anzacs. We have recently established the Tinui Parish Anzac Trust to assist us in our endeavours. At 7.30am on 25th April 1916 an ANZAC SERVICE was held in the local Church of The Good Shepherd, and shortly afterwards the original jarrah Cross was carried up the steep track on the Taipo and erected on the skyline. The Church of The Good Shepherd and the site of the Cross are both waiting on the appropriate registration from the NZ Historic Places Trust. The rise of the Taipo (Mt Maunsell) can be seen behind the memorial in the inset photo above and the building to the right of the memorial is the original Tinui General Store (c1872), now the Craft Shop. Pat Whites book 'Gallipoli-in search of a family story', published in 2005, tells the story of Jack Dunn, and includes mentions of the relatives of earlier contributors to this item.

Fran McGowan

Posted: 03 May 2010

Richard Stowers' "Bloody Gallipoli" book, tells the tragic story of Jack Dunn. He was twice evacuated due to illness and prematurely discharged himself from the hospital despite being 'not fit for active service'. Returning to Gallipoli, Dunn fell asleep on night-sentry duty and faced a court martial as his superiors wanted to make an example of him to warn others. Originally sentenced to death in July 1915, it was changed to 10 years' hard labour. Dunn was informed of the decision on 5 August and released so that he could participate in the August Offensive. Three days later he was killed in action.

Ian Nichols

Posted: 01 May 2010

Can you or anyone assist as to why Jack DUNN was originally sentenced to death. Must be a good story in there somewhere.


Posted: 20 Apr 2010

The locals of Tinui worked really hard to obtain, retrieve and revive old letters, communications, pictures etc to tell the full story of the significance of the Tinui Taipo ANZAC War Memorial. It is all able to be seen & read at the community store, craft store and Museum. Tinui ANZAC Memorial is now acknowledged by the NZ combined Armed Forces as the Worlds First ANZAC Memorial and the Air Force is present most years (2010 included) with fly overs etc. We need to support this community in their completely voluntary efforts to maintain the village, it's history and place in New Zealand! Cheers

Robin Andrews (nee Harvey)

Posted: 28 Apr 2009

My father, the late Ian Hamilton Harvey (NZ All Black 24-26-28) who was born and lived his early life in the Wairarapa mainly Whakataki used to point to the rock whenever we came through Tinui (he and Mum always stopped at the hotel for a 'spot' and as a treat a lemonade would be brought out to the car to keep us happy) and say to us kids,"See the cross up there? As a boy scout of 13 I helped carry it up there." As a kid I could never see it, but I wonder if any one has any info on who else might have been involved in getting it up-- all Dad ever said was that it was heavy! He lost a brother (William Harvey) during that war and I was thrilled to see that his name is on an ANZAC memorial I saw on the web. I now live in Sydney and only heard about this being the site of the first ANZAC service in NZ through my younger brother