Upper Wairoa War Memorial Park, Tangiteroria

Tangiteroria TangiteroriaTangiteroriaTangiteroriaTangiteroriaTangiteroria

In 1947 the people of Tangiteroria bought 8 ½ acres of land in Pukehuia Road to form the Upper Wairoa War Memorial Park. Football fields, bowling greens and tennis courts were established. The old Tangiteroria hall was moved to the site. A memorial flagpole was erected outside with brass plaques at its base that listed the six local men who had died in each of the two world wars. The Tangiteroria Garden Club planted a tree for each soldier.

By the early 1980s, the old hall had reached the end of its useful life. It was replaced by a new facility built largely by voluntary labour. Known as the Upper Wairoa Memorial Community Hall and Sports Complex, this was formally opened by Colonel T.F.L. Ward on 4 July 1987.

See: Tangiteroria School Centenary and District Reunion, 1886-1986 [Dargaville, 1986], [pp. 56-7]; ‘A Tangiteroria welcome’, Kaipara Lifestyler, 11/7/2012.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Upper Wairoa War Memorial Park, Tangiteroria

What do you know?