Waihi Memorial Hall, Motunui

The Waihi Memorial Hall at Motunui was opened on 9 December 1923. The First World War roll of honour unveiled on the day, a marble tablet set in a carved oak frame, was inscribed FOR KING AND COUNTRY / IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF / WAIHI BOYS / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 -1918. It listed the names of four local men who had made the supreme sacrifice: Lieutenant Mema Wikamu, Sergeant Harold G.N. Skelton and Privates John T. Graham and Percy A. Rook. An almost identical roll of honour was unveiled after the Second World War inscribed with another four names: Pilot Officer H.D.J. Fitzimmons, Sergeant Pilot R.J. Newman, Leading Aircraftman V.O. McKain and Leading Seaman B.D. Riley. Photographs of the rolls of honour can be found on Kete New Plymouth. See also:  'In grateful memory: Waihi's sacrifice in the war', Taranaki Herald, 10/12/1923; Motunui School and districts centennial: 1894-1994, Motunui, 1994, pp. 42-4. 

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Waihi Memorial Hall, Motunui

What do you know?