Waikouaiti War Memorial Community Centre

Waikouaiti War Memorial Community Centre Waikouaiti War Memorial Community Centre Waikouaiti War Memorial Community Centre

The foundation stone of the Waikouaiti War Memorial Community Centre was laid on 2 June 1953 (Coronation Day); the official opening was held on 7 November 1954. In 1974 the Waikouaiti library – which had a distinguished history going a far back as 1862 - was moved into the building.

In 1995 the community centre building was demolished. A new building, constructed on the same footprint as the old, was formally reopened as the Waikouaiti Library on 29 February 1996. The Waikouaiti Second World War roll of honour and other historical memorabilia are displayed in the lobby. The roll of honour lists the names of 14 men from Merton, Karitane and Waikouaiti who gave their lives during the war.

See: Janet C. Angus, A brief history of the Waikouaiti Library, 1996 [4p.]

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Waikouaiti War Memorial Community Centre

What do you know?