Waimauku war memorial hall

Waimaku hall Waimaku hall Waimaku hall

Waimauku war memorial hall. Located on Waimauku Station Rd.

The Waimauku First World War roll of honour was unveiled in the Coronation Hall in Waimauku Station Road on 23 April 1920. This listed the names of 42 local men who had served during the First World War, including eight who had died of wounds or been killed in action. After the Second World War, the hall was refurbished and extended. It was reopened as the Waimauku War Memorial Hall on 3 November 1956. The Second World War roll of honour was dedicated by the Rev. J. Graham.

At a later date the names from the First and Second World rolls of honour were combined on a single tablet. This is on display in the hall’s foyer. It is unclear what has happened to the originals.

Sources: ‘Soldiers from Waimauku’, NZ Herald, 24/4/1920, p. 7; ‘Waimauku’s Memorial: Roll of Honour’, Kaipara & Waitemata Echo, 29/4/1920, p. 2; ‘War Memorials Opened’, Auckland Star, 5/11/1956; Alice M. Rea, [They Came for Kauri] The Waimauku Centenary, 1863-1963, Auckland, 1963, pp. 24-5.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Waimauku war memorial hall

What do you know?