Skip to main content

Waitangi marae at Te Tii in 1880

Image

This photograph shows the Waitangi marae at Te Tii in 1880, with the meeting house Te Tiriti o Waitangi (foreground) and the Waitangi Treaty memorial (right of meeting house). The photograph was taken by Josiah Martin shortly after the completion of the meeting house. The official opening of the meeting house was organised for March 1881. As one of the few surviving signatories of the Treaty of Waitangi, Aperahama Taonui was involved in its opening, and designed the planned ceremony as a statement of unity between Pākehā and Māori.

Credit

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference No: PAColl-8454
Photographer: Josiah Martin
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image

How to cite this page

Waitangi marae at Te Tii in 1880, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/waitangi-marae-te-tii-1880, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated