Waiuku First World War memorial
The Waiuku war memorial was unveiled on 9 June 1921. This took the form of a granite obelisk on the corner of Queen and George streets. The people of Waiuku later also opened a memorial hospital in the town (Franklin Memorial Hospital). A roll of honour was also unveiled in the local public hall in 1931. In 1947 the names of Second World War servicemen were added to the memorial. In 2006 the memorial was restored and its surrounds redeveloped.
For further information relating to this memorial, see: 'Unveiling the Monument: An Impressive Ceremony', Waiuku News, 10/6/21, p. 2; 'Waiuku Memorial: Unveiling Ceremony: Impressive Function', NZ Herald, 11/6/21, p. 10; "Memorial to Fallen Soldiers" [photograph], Franklin Times, 1/5/23, p. 5); ‘Roll of Honour: Unveiling Ceremony', Waiuku News, 28/4/31, p. 5; 'Waiuku Monument: New Inscription', Waiuku News, 11/4/47, p. 2; 'Unveiling of New Inscriptions', Waiuku News, 3/5/47, p. 3; ‘Public Praised for Cenotaph Completion', Franklin County News, 20/4/2006, p. 3; Waiuku Cenotaph', Post, 2/5/2006, p. 6; ‘A Superb Community Effort', Post, 9/5/2006, p. 7; ‘Special Gift Adds Even More to Waiuku's Anzac Day', Post, 15/4/2009, p. 1.