Whāngārei Second World War memorial

Memorial base Memorial base Memorial base Memorial base

The Second World War memorial on top of Mt Parihaka which overlooks Whāngārei.

The Whāngārei Second World War Memorial is a distinctive example of a non-functional memorial, when the majority of Second World War memorials in New Zealand were functional. It was constructed in 1956 and formally dedicated on Anzac Day 1957. The memorial commemorates the sacrifice of the lives of 170 citizens of the Whāngārei District, and also honours all who served.

While taking the traditional form of an obelisk, it is distinctive for the stainless steel sheathing and the four red Christian crosses, one on each side. At the base are four bas-relief carved panels in limestone. One has a wreath and crossed Union Flag and New Zealand Flag with the text ‘We Shall Remember Them’. The other three have appropriate motifs and the single words ‘Land’ ‘Sea and ‘Air’. No names are present.

 

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Whāngārei Second World War memorial

What do you know?