Whitford school roll of honour

Whitford school roll of honour

Whitford No. 2 School was opened near the intersection of the Whitford-Maraetai Road and Quarry Road in 1898. The school was closed in 1937 and the building was demolished. Some years later the school’s First World War roll of honour was rediscovered, rescued, and placed in Howick Historical Village.

The wooden plaque gives the names of a total of 20 former pupils in the order in which they enlisted: Bertie W.B. Shaw (Main Body, killed at Gallipoli); Harry Granger (4th Australian Battalion); Frank Dibble (4th Australian Battalion); Stewart Spencer (7th Reinforcements, wounded); Alf Hamilton (8th Reinforcements); William Grant (9th Reinforcements); Claude A. Granger (13th Reinforcements, killed in France); Dudley Doidge (13th Reinforcements); Francis Granger (16th Reinforcements, wounded); Edgar Spencer (19th Reinforcements, wounded twice); Edgar Granger (21st Reinforcements, wounded); James Whitford (21st Reinforcements); Percival Granger (23rd Reinforcements); James McKenzie (28th Reinforcements, wounded); Harold Keane (39th Reinforcements); and Charles Henson, Richard Whitford, Albert Whitford, James Gilbertson and Gorden Wiles (entered camp).

See: Alan La Roche, Grey’s Folly, Howick, 2011, pp. 221-2.

Community contributions

1 comment has been posted about Whitford school roll of honour

What do you know?

Carole Lindsay

Posted: 10 Mar 2015

Is this a list of the school roll for Whitford School of pupils around 1880-1890?