Skip to main content

Long-distance wireless stations

Image

Wireless station at Awanui in Northland Wireless station at Awarua in Southland Wireless station on Tinakori Hill, Wellington Raising wireless mast on Chatham Islands

In December 1913, new high-powered (30 kw) stations at Awanui in Northland (main image) and Awarua in Southland opened for business, enabling round-the-clock communication with the east coast of Australia. Less powerful (2½ kw) stations with a range of 500-1000 km were also set up at Wellington, Auckland and the Chatham Islands just before the war.

Credit

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: 1/1-010618-G
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

How to cite this page

Long-distance wireless stations, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/wireless-stations, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated