Skip to main content

Brookside church memorial

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Memorial plaque at St Luke's Anglican Church in Brookside.  The plaque is located behind the heavy Christening font at the rear of the church. It took three men to move the font so that images could be taken of the plaque.

St Luke’s Anglican Church was built in 1880 to a design by Benjamin Mountfort. Today it is shared by an Anglican/Methodist/Presbyterian congregation. The white marble memorial tablet was unveiled at Brookside Presbyterian Church on 8 February 1920 (‘Memorial service at Brookside’, Ellesmere Guardian, 2/11/1920, p. 3). It is inscribed with the names of six former members of the local Presbyterian congregation: Chaplain Major W. Grant, Sergeant W.H. Petrie, Private J.F. Laing, Trooper J.W. Boag, and Privates H.S. Crossen and Leslie Crossen. It is uncertain when it was moved to the Anglican church; probably at some time after 1977 when the Ellesmere Co-operating Parish was formed.

Credit

Francis Vallance and Bruce Comfort, 2011. Additional information: Bruce Ringer, 2017

Find out more about the people listed on this memorial on the Auckland Museum's Cenotaph website

How to cite this page

Brookside church memorial, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/memorial/brookside-church-memorial, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated


Keywords