Skip to main content

Central Memorial Hall, Ruawaro

Image

This substantial brick hall, opened in 1953, stands in isolation at the intersection of Hetherington and Waikokowai Roads in the hills to the west of Huntly. The wooden commemorative tablet in the foyer records that it was built as the Second World War memorial for the districts of Rotongaro, Ruawaro, Pukekapia and Waikokowai (small mining and farming settlements). A bronze plate set into the tablet lists the names of eight local men killed in action: W.G. Blair, E. Blake, W. Dow, R. Herbert, W. Pearson, W.B. Perrie, J. Smith and J.A. Thomas.

The hall is sometimes alternatively known as the Central Districts Memorial Hall or the Ruawaro Memorial Hall.

Credit

Images and text: Bruce Ringer, 2017

How to cite this page

Central Memorial Hall, Ruawaro, URL: https://nzhistory.govt.nz/memorial/central-memorial-hall-ruawaro, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated


Keywords