Skip to main content

Frasertown War Memorial


Governor-General Sir Charles Fergusson unveiled the Frasertown First World War memorial on 20 November 1929, during a half-hour break from his trip to open the Tuai powerhouse near Waikaremoana.

The memorial is a granite column set on a concrete base and surmounted by a cross. It bears the names of ten local men who had been killed in action during the First World War and three who had died from other causes. Four additional names of men killed on active service were added after the Second World War.

The district’s First World War roll of honour in the local public hall listed the names of a further 66 men who had served in the war. The hall was badly damaged by fire in 2015, but the roll of honour was salvaged and has since been restored. The roll of honour is currently in storage.

 See ‘Waikaremoana Power’, Evening Post, 20/11/1929, p. 12, cf.  D.P.J. Crofskey, Frasertown-Clydebank Centenary, 1868-1968, Wairoa, 1968, pp. 27-8.


Bruce Ringer, Auckland Libraries, 2015; Roll of honour image: Dennis Munro, 2015

How to cite this page

Frasertown War Memorial, URL:, (Manatū Taonga — Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated